Ajotonate (Tomato Salad with Tomato Dressing)
- 750gm large ripe tomatoes, beefsteak if possible
- 300gm vine-ripened tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 150ml olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup good black olives, pitted
- ¼ cup capers
- chopped parsley to garnish
Slice the beefsteak tomatoes into rounds and arrange on a deep platter. Using a mortar or a plate and spoon, mash the garlic with the salt.
Place the 300gms of tomatoes in a food processor with the garlic and cumin and blend until smooth. Add the vinegar then gradually add the oil to make a smooth dressing. Season to taste and pour over the sliced tomatoes. Scatter over the olives, capers and parsley to serve.