Ann Small's Curried Butter
A recipe from a friend who makes this before any summer holiday. It freezes well and goes perfectly with any seafood dinner either purchased for the bbq or foraged from the coast.
- I x small onion finely chopped
- 2 x cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cm knob ginger, grated
- 4 x lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 x red chillies, chopped
- 1 x stick lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 x cloves
- ½ tsp. peppercorns
- ½ tick cinnamon
- 4 x green cardamoms
- juice and zest of 3 limes
- 500gm butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp. salt
- chopped parsley, coriander
In a little vegetable oil, sweat onion, garlic, ginger, chillies and lemongrass until translucent and fragrant. Add all the spices after being dry toasted and ground in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Cook further two minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Transfer onion mixture into electric mixer and whip with butter, lemon juice and zest, salt and chopped herbs until light and evenly mixed.
Roll with cling film into tubes and freeze until needed.