Bacon Braised Brussels Sprouts
- 200gm brussels sprouts, washed,and cut in half
- 50gm bacon, cut into small squares
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed, plus 2 cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme, plus 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 20gm grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or good hard cheese
- 30gm panko bread crumbs
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves only, chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 180 C.
Take a large pan and set over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until fat renders 2 to 3 minutes. Add the smashed garlic clove, thyme sprigs and Brussels sprouts and cook gently until slightly caramelized. Add stock and reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and a little pepper, cover and simmer for 6 minutes until tender.
After Brussels sprouts are done cooking, put them in oven safe dish.
Toss bread crumbs with rosemary, thyme leaves and chopped garlic, then drizzle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture and Parmigiano over Brussels sprouts and bake in a hot oven until golden and crispy.
Serve as a side dish to accompany roasted chicken or lamb.