Barbecued Chicken Salad with Grilled Nectarines
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts, batted out to flatten (skin is optional, I prefer to leave it for the flavour it brings!)
- zest of two lemons
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped lemon thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large ripe freestone nectarines, halved with stones removed
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons crumbly feta cheese
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ (half) cup roughly chopped basil leaves.
For the salad;
- 2 cups tender green salad leaves, washed and dried
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Extra basil leaves for garnish
Prepare the chicken for grilling. Mix the lemon zest with the thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper and drench the chicken breasts in that mixture. Heat the grill and over a gentle heat cook the chicken on both sides until golden but still moist in the interior.
After the chicken starts to turn golden add the nectarine halves to the grill and cook until warmed through.
To make the dressing beat the cheese with a whisk, gradually adding the lemon and oil. Finally stir in the basil, season with salt and pepper if necessary.
To assemble, place the salad leaves on a large serving platter. Slice the warm chicken breasts and place on the salad with the nectarines. Drizzle over the dressing and garnish with the basil leaves.
John Hawkesby’s wine recommendation
Mt. Edward 'The Drumlin' 2011
Jackson Estate Shelterbelt 2010