Barley and Lentil Soup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 150gms Portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 200gms pancetta, finely diced
- 1 tbsp rosemary , very finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 C pearl barley
- 1 C Puy lentils, boiled in plenty of boiling water for about 15 minutes until tender, well drained
- 400gms can Italian tomatoes, mashed
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley,
- finely grated Italian parmesan and extra virgin olive oil to serve
Put the oil, onions, carrot, celery, mushrooms, pancetta, rosemary and garlic into a large saucepan over moderate heat and fry gently, without browning until the onion is soft.
Add the barley and cooked lentils, tomatoes and stock and simmer for about 40 minutes until the barley is tender.
Stir in the parsley and serve with grated parmesan and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.