Caponata (Autumn Stew)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 aubergine, cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 capsicum, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons red wine or malt vinegar
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and pan-fry the aubergine in batches until just brown, transferring to kitchen paper to drain.
Reduce the heat and add the onion, celery and yellow capsicum to the pan and cook for 7-10 minutes until softened.
Return the aubergine to the pan and add the water, tomato paste, capers and vinegar.
Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes until thick and season as wished. Serve hot or chilled.
Serves: 4 as a light meal with polenta and salad
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes