Ceviche de Pescado
- 300g of trevelly (you could use scallops when in season or any white fish but not too flaky)
- the juice of 4 lemons (or a mix of lemon and lime juice when in season)
- ¼ of a telegraph cucumber
- 1 small red onion
- 4 large tomatoes deseeded
- a handful of coriander, stalk and leaves
- a pinch of hot chilli flakes (optional)
First dice the fish into ½ cm chunks and marinade in the citrus juice for 20 minutes. Whilst the fish is marinating, dice the cucumber, red onion and tomatoes to the same size.
To serve mix all the diced vegetables together in a mixing bowl with the fish and finely chopped coriander, then dress using the remaining citrus juice.
Garnish with slices of avocado and for an extra kick some hot chilli flakes.
Stephen Morris’s Wine match
Riesling, off dry, so that it can handle the heat, but still show off some lovely citrus notes.
Charles Wiffin Riesling 2010 – Marlborough. A lovely mix of lime and mandarin. Not austere or hard. Some juicy fruit weight on the palate.
Greystone Riesling 2011 – Waipara. Citrus zest and pith. Cumquat. Off dry. A lovely freshness, and they make a low alcohol version – light lime, hint of marmalade. Clean and delicate.