Cheat's Paprika Chicken Stew
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 6-8 chicken drumsticks, preferably skin removed
- 2 rashers bacon, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 150-200 grams button mushrooms, halved
- 420 gram can condensed tomato soup
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sour cream
1. Brown the chicken drumsticks in a dash of oil in a moderately-hot, lidded frying pan and set aside.
2. Add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook until fragrant the onion is beginning to soften. Return the chicken to the pan with the mushrooms, paprika, tomato soup and water and cover.
3. Cook over a low heat for 45 minute or bake in a 160°C oven for the same time or until the drumsticks are well cooked. Stir in the sour cream before serving with piles of vegetables.
Up-market or change me!
- Add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Add 1 can diced tomatoes and omit the water
- Add 1 diced ham steak in place of the bacon
- Add ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- Use 500 grams diced beef for stewing or casseroling and cook for about 1 hour.
Slow cook me!
Pile al the ingredients except the sour cream into a slow cooker and cook on low for about 5 hours.