Chilli con Carne
This is good over rice or with jacket-baked potatoes and dollops of sour cream. Adjust the heat factor to suit.
- olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp muscovado or brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 kg coarsely ground minced beef
- 150ml red wine
- 2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato concentrate
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 x 400g red kidney beans, drained, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ tsp salt
1. Put 2 tablespoons oil in a large casserole over a medium heat and add the onions. Cook gently for 10 minutes, then add the sugar and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until golden. Stir in garlic, then the chilli powder, paprika and cumin.
2. Increase heat to high and add the chorizo, stir for a minute or so, then add the meat in small clumps. Fry beef until it loses its pinkness, then stir in wine, wait a minute, then stir in tomatoes, tomato concentrate and Worcestershire sauce. Finally, add the kidney beans and salt.
3. Bring to a gentle boil, cover with a lid then transfer to an oven preheated to 170°C (regular) and cook for 1½ hours.