Chinese New Year Dumplings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- up to 1¼ cups cold water
- ¼ teaspoon salt or
- 1 pkt ready made dumpling wrappers
- 1 cup ground pork
- 1 tblsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tblsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, or to taste
- 3 tblsp sesame oil
- ½ spring onion, finely minced
- 1½ cups finely shredded cabbage
- 4 tblsp shredded bamboo shoots
- 2 slices fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1-2 cups chicken stock or water
To make the dumpling wrappers; stir the salt into the flour, slowly stir in the cold water, adding as much as is necessary to form a smooth dough. Don't add more water than is necessary. Knead the dough into a smooth ball. Cover the dough and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
Divide the dough into 60 pieces. Roll each piece out into a circle about 3-inches in diameter.
To prepare the filling
Add the soy sauce, salt, rice wine and white pepper to the meat and mix till combined. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.