Clay Pot Chicken Rice
Preparation time: ½ hr
Cooking time: 1 ¼ hr
- 300 gm boneless chicken cut into bite sized pieces
- 2tbl oyster sauce
- 2tbl spare rib sauce
- ½ tbl soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tbl cornflour
- 5 dried Chinese mushrooms – soaked in water for 1 hour, then squeezed dry. Remove stalks.
- 1 Chinese sausage (available in most Asian Food Stores) – cut into bite sized pieces - this is optional
- 1½ cups uncooked Jasmine Rice
- 1½ cups water
- 100 gm mustard greens (Choy sum) or any green leafy vegetable
- pepper to taste
Pre heat the oven to 180°C.
Marinade chicken pieces with the oyster sauce, spare rib sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornflour and pepper. Stand for 10 minutes.
Put the marinated chicken and any residual marinade, sausage, rice and water into a 2 litre clay pot, put the lid on and bake in the oven for 1 hour or till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
Remove lid, fluff up the rice with a fork, and put the mushrooms and mustard greens on the top of the rice. Replace the lid and return the clay pot to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
John Hawkeby’s wine recommendation
Te Whau 2009