Curried Cauliflower and Potato
- 50g butter
- 500g (3 large) waxy potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp sweet ground paprika
- 2 medium tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander (substitute mint if preferred)
- 1 Tbsp peeled grated ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large cauliflower
1 Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the potatoes and fry until they are tender and lightly browned. Transfer potatoes to a plate. Wipe out pan and add the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, but before it starts smoking, add the mustard seeds. Cover pan with a lid and shake the pan constantly until they pop.
2 Slip in the onion and brown it lightly. Reduce the heat and add the lemon juice, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper and paprika. Blend well, then add the tomatoes, fresh coriander, ginger and salt; if the mixture seems a little dry, add a tablespoon or so of water.
3 Add the cauliflower and potatoes and turn to coat them in the spicy mixture. Reduce the heat and cover pan tightly. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is well impregnated with the spice mixture and is cooked to your liking; stir occasionally. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot or warmish.