Easy Masala Chai (Spiced Tea)
This page is from our recipe collection.
At India's roadside tea stalls masala chai is served already sweetened. I have added about one teaspoon of sugar per cup in this recipe, which makes the tea just mildly sweet. You may double that amount if you prefer.
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cardamom
- (if you do not have it, throw in 4 whole cardamom pods)
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground ginger
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teabags containing good, unflavoured black tea (I use PG Tips)
- 500 ml/16 fl oz full-fat milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
Put 750 ml / 24 fl oz cold water in a pan. Add the ground spices, 4-5 generous grinds of black pepper and the teabags. Bring to the boil. Cover, reduce the heat to very, very low and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Add the milk and sugar. Stir and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, pour through a fine sieve and serve.