For the tacos
- 600g line-caught cod, monkfish or other firm fish
- 100g mayonnaise
- 100g creme fraiche
- 2tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, quartered
- 8-12 corn or corn flour tortillas (2-3 per person)
- 150g grated Cheddar
- fresh tomato salsa
- Apple slaw or shredded lettuce
For the Guacamole
- 1/2 chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1tsp salt to taste
- 3 ripe Hass avocados
- juice 1-2 limes, small handful of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 very ripe tomato, de-seeded and chopped
First make the guacamole
- Check the heat of the chilli by nibbling the tip furthest from the stem. Most generic supermarkets are mild, but if it's hot you can take the seeds out.
- Put one-quarter of the onion, garlic, the chilli and salt in a pestle and mortar and mash to a rough paste. Cut open the avocados, remove the stones and scoop the flesh into a large bowl, adding the onion garlic and chilli paste. Roughly mash the flesh with a fork, adding half the lime juice as you go. When you have a rough guacamole stir in the remaining lime and onion with the coriander and the tomato
- Season with plenty of black pepper
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Mix the mayonnaise and creme fraiche together and put in a bowl on the table.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the fish for a few minutes until each side is cooked through. Season with a squeeze of lime.
- Heat the tortillas in a microwave or a dry frying pan and put them on the table in a basket, wrapped in a tea towel to keep them warm.
- Place the grated cheese and salsa in separate bowls and add to the table with bowls of Apple Slaw or lettuce.
Invite your children to fill their tortillas with whatever they want, roll them up and tuck in! They are also great with chipotle mayo and extra hot sauce.