Garlic and Parsley Soup
(Serves 6 as a starter to dinner)
- 14 cloves NZ garlic
- 2 tablespoons each: olive oil, flour
- 4 cups good chicken stock
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cream
- whipped cream to garnish, optional
Crush the garlic with the blade of a strong cook's knife or in a garlic crusher.
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan on medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté on low heat until light gold in colour, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
Stir in the flour then slowly add the stock. Season and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the liquid and return to the saucepan. Add the parsley and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
Just before serving remove from the heat and slowly stir in the egg yolks and cream. Ladle the soup into six small serving bowls. Top with whipped cream, if using.