Gluten-free Caramel centred chocolate chip cookies
Modified from chelsea.co.nz
Makes about 30
- 220g unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cup plain gluten-free flour (Zoë highly recommends Edmonds)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 250g chocolate drops
- 1 block of caramel centred chocolate (Zoë uses Whittaker’s*)
Preheat the oven to 180°C and line cookie sheets with baking paper.
Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars until combined and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla.
By hand stir in the flour, salt and soda, mixing until just incorporated. Finally, mix in the chocolate chips.
Scoop a heaped tablespoon of batter into your hand and flatten it well. Push 1 piece of caramel chocolate into the centre of the dough and roll the dough around the chocolate to form a ball. Place on baking trays and bake for about 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden.
* Whittaker’s caramel chocolate is gluten-free, but for a non-gluten free option try Cadbury’s caramello chocolate. It’s thicker in consistency and holds its shape better when cooked.