Gluten-free Lemon Melting Yoyos
Modified from The Great New Zealand Cookbook
- 250 g butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80 g soft icing sugar
- 250 g plain gluten-free flour (Zoe strongly recommends Edmonds for this recipe)
- 75 g cornflour
- 100 g butter, softened
- 110 g soft icing sugar
- 1 medium sized lemon zested
- 1T lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C
- Line three baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter, vanilla and sifted icing sugar with an electric mixer until pale. Stir in the combined sifted flours in batches.
- With lightly floured hands, roll the equivalent of 2 level teaspoons of mixture into balls and place about 3 cm apart on oven trays. Dip a fork into a little extra flour and press biscuits lightly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until biscuits are a pale colour
- Stand biscuits on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool.
- To make the butter cream, beat butter and sifted icing sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer, until pale and fluffy.
- Finely grate lemon zest and juice and mix in. Gently Sandwich cooled biscuits together with a teaspoon of butter cream.
- Dust with a little extra sifted icing sugar, if desired.
To make these more lemony add about 2T of lemon zest to the biscuit batter.
Change lemon butter cream for strawberry jam and whipped cream for something different.
NB: These are a lot easier to make with non-gluten-free flour as it’s the gluten that holds the biscuits together. I’ve tried making this recipe with a range of gluten-free flours and at the moment only Edmonds plain gluten-free flour holds its shape.