Grill-Fired King Prawns With Fresh Asian Salad & Mango & Chilli Lime Dressing
This perfectly balanced salad becomes superb with the addition of mango dressing. Serve with peeled or whole prawns - either way it is a great dish for a barbecue.
15 wooden skewers
15 large green king prawns
(shell and head on)
50 ml olive oil
1 lime, cut into wedges
3 fresh lime leaves
5 sprigs coriander for garnish
Fresh Asian Salad
½ red capsicum, julienned
2 tbsp fresh coriander, leaves roughly torn and stalk finely chopped
½ small telegraph cucumber, peeled, deseeded and shaved lengthways with a peeler
4 tbsp pickled ginger
3 spring onions, finely sliced lengthways
1 tsp palm sugar
splash sushi vinegar
splash of lemon-infused olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mango & Chilli Lime Dressing
50 ml mango purée
1 lime, juiced and ½ zest
¼-½ tsp fresh red chilli, finely chopped
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp palm sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Soak wooden skewers in cold water so that they will not burn when heated, and preheat oven or barbecue grill plate.
2. To make the salad, in a large bowl mix the capsicum, coriander, cucumber, pickled ginger and spring onion. Add palm sugar, sushi vinegar and a good splash of the lemon infused olive oil and mix gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. To make the mango and chilli lime dressing, place the mango purée into a blender with lime juice and zest, chilli (to taste), soy sauce and palm sugar. Blend and adjust seasoning.
4. Coat prawns in olive oil and thread onto skewers. Cook on hot grill for 7-10 minutes until prawns are red in colour and cooked through.
5. Place salad onto a serving platter with prawn skewers arranged on top. Serve with mango dressing in a bowl on the side, garnished with lime wedges.
An extract from The New Zealand Seafood Cookbook, published by Penguin Group NZ.