Grilled Aubergine Steak with Lemon Olive Oil and Balsamic Dressing
Makes 8 Steaks
Ingredients Aubergine Steaks
- 16 Basil leaves
- Olive oil for cooking
- 2 medium aubergines cut into 16 x 2 cm thick rounds
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- 200gms fresh mozzarella cut into 8 slices
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1tbs fresh marjoram leaves
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 150mls extra virgin olive oil
- 30mls balsamic vinegar
- 2tbsp finely chopped shallot or red onion
- 2tbsp snipped chives
Lay out 8 slices of aubergine on your work surface and season.
Brush each one with olive oil and top with a basil leaf.
Lay a slice of mozzarella on top of the basil and 2 slices of tomato on top of that and season again.
Place a basil leaf on top, then the remaining slice of aubergine.
Press the sandwiches firmly together.
Brush with olive oil and season once more and sprinkle over marjoram leaves.
Cook on a pre-heated bbq until golden brown (4 to 5 minute each side).
Splash over a little dressing and sprinkle with fresh herbs.