- 750gm ham steak, bone-in or boneless (roughly 3 steaks)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the Glaze
- 1/4 cup treacle
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1star anise
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients for the glaze in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
2. Heat a large non-stick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the butter, and then set one ham steak in the pan and sear for 2-3 minutes on one side, until it starts to get some color, flip.
3. While the bottom is searing, spread some of the glaze over the top (it will be sort of thin since it's warm). Let cook 3 minutes, flip.
4. Spread some of the glaze on this side. Continue to cook until the glaze gets sticky and caramelized, 3-5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Repeat with remaining 2 ham steaks.
5. Serve with a green salad and some potatoes and soft bread rolls and a Mint Julep.