Hunters Potato Tart
- 225 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 100 grams cold butter, diced
- 1 tablespoon toasted fennel seeds
- 180 grams cold mashed potato
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 25 grams butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 400 grams Hunters sausage or similar, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red capsicum, roasted peeled and sliced
- 150 grams gruyere cheese, grated
- black olives to garnish
Place the flour, salt and butter in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Tip this into a large bowl and stir through the fennel seeds, then the potato and milk and mix by hand to a soft dough.
Roll the dough out onto a large baking sheet, lined with baking paper or a teflon sheet to form a rectangle.
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
Heat the oil and butter in a large sauté pan and add the onions and garlic.
Cook over a medium-low heat for about 30-40 minutes until beautifully caramelised.
Season well and cool.
Spread the cooled onions over the pastry then layer over the sliced sausage. Scatter over the cheese, the red capsicum and the olives.
Bake approximately 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
Serve with a crisp green salad.
Suggested Wines to Go With Today's Recipe
Saint Clair Pioneer Block 4 2005
Stoneleigh Rapaura Series 2003
Amor Bendall 2005