Julia Child's Deluxe Chicken Salad
This Julia Child recipe is a result of a dinner that some of the Auckland members of IACP had this week as part of a worldwide celebration of Julia’s first cooking show, which aired 11 February, 1963. We all cooked a dish from one of her books.
(Serves 6 to 8)
- 3 - 4 skinless chicken breasts
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 - 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon leaves, or ¼ tsp fragrant dried tarragon
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2-3 spring onions sliced
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup or more of mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 1 medium head of cos lettuce, washed and dried
Bring a shallow pan of water to a simmer, adding a few aromatics such as a chopped onion, a bay leaf, a few peppercorns and some parsley stalks or celery leaves. Add the chicken breasts and poach them gently until cooked through – about 15 minutes depending on the size. Remove and cool slightly before covering and refrigerating until chilled.
Slice the chicken and toss with salt, pepper, and enough olive oil to coat the meat very lightly. Add the lemon juice and toss again and then add the herbs, celery, spring onions, and walnuts. Taste and season again if needed. Set aside for 10 minutes, tossing several times.
Just before serving fold in enough mayonnaise to coat and serve on a bed of crisp cos lettuce. Garnish with a few celery leaves.
Suggested Wines To Go With Today's Recipe:-
Clearview Unwooded 2006
Morton Estate 3 Vineyards 2004
Nautilus Four Barriques 2005