- 1 C mashed cooked kumara (room temperature)
- 3 Tbsp butter (a little extra to grease the soufflé dish - 6 C size)
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 c scalded milk
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- pinch each of cayenne pepper, salt & pepper
- 4 large egg yolks (room temperature)
- 1/2 C grated cheddar cheese
- 1/8 C grated parmesan cheese (plus extra for sprinkling)
- chopped fresh chives
- 5 large egg whites (room temperature)
- pinch cream of tartar
Pre-heat over to 200 degrees C
Butter soufflé dish and sprinkle with small amount of parmesan cheese - top and sides.
Make cheese sauce.
Melt butter and add flour - cook out for 2 minutes.
Add mashed kumara into mix when cooked out.
Whisk in hot milk, nutmeg, cayenne, salt & pepper.
Cook out until smooth and thick.
Take off heat.
Whisk in 1 egg yolk at a time.
Stir in cheddar and parmesan cheeses and chives.
Whisk egg whites with cream of tarter, till glossy peaks are formed.
Add 1/4 egg whites to soufflé mix, mix gently to soften the mix.
Fold in the rest of the egg whites carefully and slowly.
When well folded pour into greased and cheesed soufflé dish.
Draw a circle on top to let air out and help it rise evenly.
Place in middle of the oven, turn temperature down to 180 degrees C.
Bake for 25 minutes (NO PEEKING).
Check to see if risen and evenly browned and cooked.
Take out, serve immediately and enjoy! Lovely with a fresh green salad.