Lentil, Carrot and Coriander Pate
- 125g puy or other brown lentils
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh minced chili
- 2 large carrots, thickly sliced
- quarter cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- sea salt and black pepper
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander plus extra leaves to garnish
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt, optional
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
Rinse the lentils with water, then put them in a saucepan and cover with plenty of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, coriander and cumin seeds, chili and carrots and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
Add the cooked lentils, stock and tomato paste. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Leave covered in the pot to cool.
Transfer everything to a food processor and process to a thick purée. Season to taste and stir in the fresh coriander.
Put in a serving bowl, stir in the yoghurt and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
Serve garnished with coriander leaves. Serve with pita crisps or toasted Turkish pide. Makes 2 and a half cups.