This is a must-do dish for the middle of winter. It's a personal favourite of mine, because it's so great for sharing with your friends and family. I have listed my favourite ingredients here, but don't be afraid to add your own. If any is left over, I always add udon noodles and serve it again as noodle soup - the flavours blend together in the soup to make something altogether heavenly, and we are not going to waste this!
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
- 1⁄6 cabbage, cut into large pieces
- 1⁄6 Chinese cabbage, cut into large pieces
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for
- 5 minutes
- 350g firm tofu, cut into large cubes
- 2 handfuls of mung bean sprouts
- 500g sliced pork or chicken thigh
- 2-3 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 200g kimchi (Korean pickled cabbage), optional
- steamed rice, to serve
- 30g butter
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 4 tbsp miso
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp gochujang (Korean hot chilli paste)
To make stock, place a clay pot or large pan over medium-high heat and add butter.
When butter has melted, add garlic and ginger. Stir-fry until aroma is released.
Add 1.2 litres water, bring to boil and add miso, brown sugar, soy sauce, mirin and gochujang. Stir well to dissolve and soup stock is ready!
Add rest of hotpot ingredients to stock. Put lid on, bring to boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes or until meat is cooked.
Place hotpot in middle of dining table and serve with steamed rice.