Mushroom And Mozzarella Tart
This page is from our recipe collection.
Fresh mozzarella is sold in brine. It is white in colour and comes in a large ball. If you cannot obtain fresh mozzarella, use the more readily available yellow mozzarella version.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 500 grams small Swiss brown or button mushrooms
- a knob of butter
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 3 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten or 2 tblsp milk
- 100-150 grams sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary sprigs
1. Finely slice mushrooms and cook in butter with the garlic until lightly browned and no juices remain. Season and cool.
2. Roll 2 puff pastry sheets into a 30 x 22cm rectangle. Trim the edges and place on a paper-lined or greased baking tray. Brush a 3cm strip around the edge of the rectangle with egg wash or milk.
3. Cut a further sheet of pastry into 3cm wide strips and place these on top of the egg-washed edges to form the sides of the tart. Brush with egg wash to glaze.
4. Scatter over the mushrooms with fresh mozzarella cheese. Garnish with rosemary.
5. Fan bake at 200ºC for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden and well-risen and the cheese is melted. Serve with salad and crusty bread.