(Serves makes 20 fritters)
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 300mls tepid milk
- 350g flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 75 mls fish sauce
- 4 coriander roots, well washed
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 hot green chillis, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1.5 kg mussels, steamed open in a little water, shells discarded,
- tongues pulled out, meat thinly sliced.
- vegetable oil for frying.
Sprinkle the yeast on the milk and set aside until the yeast has dissolved, mix well. Stir in the flour, eggs and fish sauce.
Process or pound the coriander root, garlic and chillis to a paste and mix well into the batter mix. Stir in the coriander leaves. Set aside in a warm place for about 30 minutes until bubbly.
Just before making the fritters, stir in the mussel meat and fry spoonfuls in hot oil until browned on both sides and well cooked.