- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2.5cm (1 inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 large green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 250 gm (9oz/1 cup) red lentils
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Heat a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the onion, ginger, garlic, chili, salt and cumin and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft. Add the lentils and 750 ml (26 fl oz/3 cups) of water and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes until the lentils have dissolved.
Remove from the heat and stir through the lime juice. Top with the coriander leaves and serve with naan bread.
To serve: small handful fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves naan bread