Parsnip and carrot mash
(Serves 6 as a side dish)
- 750g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 750 g parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Zest and juice of one orange
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped parsley to garnish
Place the carrots and parsnips in water with a little salt and bring to the boil. Simmer until tender, for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy pan and add the cardamom and cumin and allow to fry for about 30 seconds.
Remove and drain, then place in a food processor with the spiced butter mixture, the zest and juice of the orange and puree until almost smooth. (The mixture is better to be a little chunky than super smooth).
Add a little freshly ground black pepper, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Return to the saucepan and gently reheat when ready to serve dinner.
John Hawkesby’s wine recommendation
- Matakana Estate (Hawkes Bay Cabernet Franc Merlot) 2008
- Misha's Vineyard Verisimo 2008