- Cold butter, cold water.
- Work quickly, this keeps the pastry cool and lessens the gluten development in the flour.
- Handle as little as possible. Too much handling makes the pastry greasy.
- You can roll the pastry as soon as it is made then rest and chill before baking.
- Always chill well, at least an hour before baking.
- Role out evenly without pushing down into the pastry.
- Get your rolling rhythm by using the rolling pin on the bench before rolling the pastry.
- To keep the base crisp when blind baking glaze the hot shell with egg white. This creates a layer between the pastry and the filling allowing the pastry to stay crisp.
- Do not be afraid!!
From This Way Up
Find a Recipe