Pear and Treacle Tart
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 45 - 50 minutes
- 400 gram packet sweet short pastry, defrosted
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3 tablespoons treacle
- 250 gram tub crème fraiche or sour cream
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Grated rind and juice 1 lemon
- 2 pears, peeled and cored
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 1 ¾ cup fresh white breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease and line the base of a deep 23cm tart tin.
2. Roll two thirds of the pastry out on a lightly floured surface and use to line the prepared tart tin. Line the tart with baking paper and fill with baking blind material. Bake blind in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Remove the paper and baking blind material and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the pastry is cooked in the centre.
3. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into narrow strips for the lattice top and keep chilled in the fridge while you make the filling.
4. Warm the syrups gently in the microwave or in a small saucepan. Mix in the crème fraiche or sour cream, eggs, lemon rind and juice. Dice the pears and toss together with the almonds and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, pour in the syrup mixture and stir together. Pour into the pre-baked pastry case. Arrange the chilled pastry strips on top of the tart in a criss-cross fashion.
5. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold with ice cream or whipped cream.