Prawn Balchao (spicy prawn pickle)
- 250 gms prawns (par cooked)
- 200 ml canola Oil
- 90 ml vinegar (White)
- 1/2 tsp caster Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp garlic (chopped)
- 2 tsp ginger (chopped)
- 5 curry leaves
Spice Paste (grind in vinegar)
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds (optional)
1. Shell and de-vein prawns. Par-cook and when cool blitz into small pieces.
2. Blend to a fine paste the chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds and peppercorns using vinegar.
3. Heat oil, fry washed curry leaves for 2-3 mins. Then add chopped garlic & ginger and fry until light brown.
4. Add prawns and fry for 4-5 mins.
5. Add spice paste, sugar and salt.
6. Cook for approx 45 mins on very low heat. Stir regularly to ensure the pickle does not stick to the base of the pot.
7. When cooked, fill in sterilised jar. Refrigerate after opening.