Puffballs are perfect for soup: they are soft and therefore blend down nicely, and their delicate flavour makes for a classy broth. An advantage is that you can freeze the end product.
- a couple of heaped tbs butter
- 1 small to medium sized puffball, firm and creamy, no sign of yellowing, sliced and diced.
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 100g celery sliced
- 100g leek sliced
- 100g onion sliced
- 1.25 litres chicken stock
- 300g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbs chopped dill
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 200ml creme fraiche
Melt the butter in a large heavy pan. Add the puffball, garlic, celery, leek, onion and fry for at least 15 to 20 mins, until the puffball has released its juices and the vegetables have softened.
Add the chicken stock andf the potato, Simmer for 40 minutes, until the potato is falling apart.
Add 1 tablespoon of chopped dill, salt and pepper and the creme fraiche. Blend until smooth.
Garnish with chopped dill. This soup would be delicious with toast or croutons.