Quick Mince Pies
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 Tbs brandy
- 1 cup red grapes
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 cup (400g) fruit mince
- 70g slivered almonds
- homemade shortcrust pastry, or 3 sheets prerolled sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- icing sugar
1. Put apricots in a bowl with the brandy and leave them to soften for 2-3 hours.
2. Cut grapes in half, remove any pips and cut flesh into slivers. Add to apricots and brandy with lemon zest and juice, fruit mince and almonds.
3. Roll out pastry (if necessary) and line into small muffin tins (or cut two of the pastry sheets into 9 rounds each). Cut out 18 small star shapes from remaining pastry. Fill pastry-lined tins with fruit mince and top with pastry stars. Brush pastry stars with beaten egg.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes, in an oven preheated to 190°C (fan bake), or until the pastry is golden. Cool on a cake rack and sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
Julie's Hint: The fruit mince can be made 2-3 days before required, but hold back on the almonds and add them when you make the pies.
Prep time - 20 minutes
Cook time - 15 minutes
Makes - 18