Red Flannel Hash
- 1/3 c finely minced onion
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 cups diced cooked potato
- 1 can diced beetroot, drained
- 1 ½ c diced cooked corned beef
- 1/3 c cream (or milk if you must)
- ½ tsp salt
- drop or two of hot sauce
- 2 spring onion finely minced
- 1 Tsp finely minced thyme
In a heavy pan gently cook onion in butter until soft.
Add potatoes, beetroot, corned beef, cream salt, pepper sauce, thyme, onion greens.
Let a crust form on the pan.
Scrap crust off bottom of pan and mix into body of the mixture.
Repeat this process several times.
Finally allow a good crust to form, turn over, by placing a plate (bigger than the diameter of the pan) on top and tipping over so that the potato cake ends up, brown side up on a plate.
Slide back into the pan and cook another crust.
Success is dependant on the non stickness of the pan, getting the heat right, you watchfulness and patience.
But the good thing is that it is still incredibly delicious if not caked, but just cooked down to a rich slurry and spooned out.