Risotto alla Zucca Gratinato (Gratin of Pumpkin Risotto)
- 800g pumpkin (skin and seeds removed), cut into small cubes
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable) or stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 350g Arborio rice
- Half a cup dry white wine
- 1 cup milk (or cream)
- 50g grated Parmagiano Reggiano cheese
- 200g smoked cheese (Italian scamorza) or other firm cheese, sliced
- Enough butter for greasing the casserole dish
- Smoked paprika for garnish
Braise the pumpkin cubes with half a cup of broth until tender. Set aside. Heat the remaining broth or stock in a saucepan and keep it hot.
In a large saucepan, cook the onion with oil on gentle heat until transparent (2 minutes). Add rice and, stirring continuously, toast it at medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the rice becomes translucent. Pour in the wine and stir for 1 more minute.
Add the cooked pumpkin and pour in 1 cup of broth, stir well, then put the lid on and leave to cook until the liquid is absorbed. Then add more broth and stir. Keep adding broth this way until the rice is tender and creamy, but still al dente (about 15-18 minutes). Turn the heat off and stir in the cold milk and parmesan cheese.
Transfer the risotto into a greased casserole dish and top with slices of cheese. Place the casserole dish in the oven under the grill for about 10 minutes, or until the top has a light golden colour.
Garnish with smoked paprika and serve hot.