Roasted Mushroom and Lemon Thyme Dip
This tasty and textured dip can also be enjoyed on toast for breakfast.
(Serves 8–10 or makes 450g)
- 500g Portobello mushrooms (thickly sliced)
- 1 tsp finely chopped lemon thyme leaves
- 65ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- ½ tsp flaky sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml (1⁄3 cup + 1 tbsp) port
- 100g (1⁄3 cup + 2 tbsp) full-fat cream cheese (chopped)
- 3 spring onions (coarsely chopped)
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Place mushrooms, lemon thyme, oil, and salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to combine. Place in a low-sided roasting tray and spread out so that mushrooms are not touching. Place in oven for 10 minutes or until mushrooms are soft and juices are beginning to run.
Remove from oven and pour port over mushrooms, gently toss and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
Place mushrooms and any juices in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process to a coarse texture. Transfer to a bowl.
To processor bowl add cream cheese and pulse until smooth. Add cream cheese to mushrooms along with spring onions, parsley and lemon juice and mix together with a big spoon.
Refrigerate until ready to use or for up to 3 days.
Reproduced with permission from Ruth Pretty Cooks at Home by Ruth Pretty.
Published by Penguin Group NZ.
Copyright © text, Ruth Pretty, 2012.
Wooing Tree Beetle Juice 2010