Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1.5 kg tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 large onions, sliced in thin wedges
- 10 tbsp tomato paste
- 4-5 cloves garlic, peeled
- half cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- several grinds black pepper
Heat the oven to 160°C.
Place the tomatoes and onions in a big mixing bowl.
Purée together the remaining ingredients until smooth. Mix evenly through tomatoes and onions.
Spread mixture in a single layer in a roasting dish lined with baking paper.
Bake about 90 minutes or until slightly browned.
Purée sauce until smooth.
Store in a clean container in the fridge or freezer. Use for pasta or any time you want a rich tomato flavour.