Salmon with a Fennel and Asparagus Salad
- 800 grams salmon, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 drops Tabasco
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 shallot very finely chopped
- 60 mls olive oil
- 60 mls canola oil
- Combine the dressing ingredients well and spoon over the salmon slices.
- Allow to sit for up to 1 hour
- 32 medium asparagus spears, blanched in boiling salted water and refreshed under cold water.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, thinly sliced, blanched for 1 minute in boiling salted water then drained
- and refreshed in cold water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh dill for garnishing
- Combine the oil and lemon juice and season to taste. Add fennel and combine.
Place 4 asparagus spears on each plate. Divide the fennel salad between the 8 plates, laying it on top of the asparagus but not covering the tips. Place the salmon to the side of the salad and spoon over a little dressing. Grind over a little fresh ground black pepper and garnish with fresh dill sprigs. Accompany with thinly sliced sourdough or ciabatta if desired.