Shanghainese Braised Shrimp with Noodles
- 200g egg noodles from the supermarket.
- 2 Tblsp oil
- 250g shrimps – uncooked, peeled (or scallops, crayfish or a mixture of seafood)
- 10g garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 5g fresh garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions – topped, tailed and finely sliced
- 1 tsp corn flour mixed with 2 tsp water
- 350 ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- pepper to taste
Cook noodles according to instructions, rinse in flowing hot water to remove residual starch – this keeps the noodles from clumping up. Set aside till required.
Mix all sauce ingredients in a jug and set aside till required.
Heat oil in a fry pan or wok until hot.
Add garlic, ginger and half of the spring onions and toss for a few seconds.
Add shrimp and toss for a further 3 – 5 minutes till the shrimp are pink and just cooked.
Add sauce mixture and bring back to the boil and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
Add corn flour mixture and simmer till sauce thickens, take off the heat.
Set out four heated bowls, twirl a quarter of the cooked noodles into each bowl and top with the sauce.
Garnish with remaining spring onions and serve immediately.
John Hawkesby’s wine recommendation
Lawsons Dry Hills The Pioneer 2009