Spicy Black Bean Soup
A little pureeing and you have a thick soup, perfect for dunking warm fresh bread into.
(Serves 4 - 6)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 vegetable of choice (celery, carrot, green pepper - whatever is lurking in your fridge. I used all of these), diced
- 1 can black beans (or just over 1 cup cooked beans)
- 1 can tomatoes (fire roasted!)
- 1 can chicken stock (or about one cup of water & 1 tsp powder. Beware of the super-salty, msg filled stuff that we made the mistake of buying.)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- seasonings of choice (cumin, cayenne pepper, hot sauce)
Add a dash of oil to a pan over medium heat. Cook onion until translucent. Add garlic and vegetables and lightly stir fry.
Add beans, tomatoes, stock, paste and seasonings. Bring to the boil. Simmer for as long as you like. Ten minutes is fine, so is 1 hour on low if you really want your house to smell good. At this point you can transfer half of the soup to a food processor and pulse until smooth. But I'm aware not everyone has a processor. A potato masher works a treat too. Otherwise it's good as is.
Serve with a dollop of yoghurt (if that's your thing) and some warm bread.