Spring Vegetable Stew
- 1 bunch asparagus - ends trimmed, stems peeled and cut into short lengths
- 8 spring onions- cut into short lengths
- 8 baby courgettes, trimmed
- 170gms fresh peas
- 12 baby carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 25 gm unsalted butter
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- salt and pepper
- 10 basil leaves - cut into strips
Cook each vegetable, except tomatoes and shallot, separately in salted boiling water. Drain when vegetables are al dente and refresh under cold running water.
In a large pan, combine the olive oil and shallot. Saute over low heat until tender. Add the stock, bring to a boil and reduce by half. Add the butter and diced tomatoes, and simmer for a few minutres. Add the rest of the cooked vegetables to the stock and warm over gentle heat, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with basil. Serve in shallow pasta bowls.