A typical fisherman’s dish from the Costa Brava in Spain.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced finely
- 6 medium waxy potatoes, par-boiled and sliced
- 6 firm, white fish steaks i.e. hapuku (groper)
- 1 litre fish stock or good water
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan and add the garlic and tomato. Cook gently until the garlic is soft and remove the pan from the heat.
Arrange the sliced potatoes in the pan and then lay the fish steaks on top of the potatoes. Pour over a good amount of olive oil and the fish stock. Cover and cook gently until the potatoes are tender and the fish is just cooked.
Season and serve in wide, shallow bowls with plenty of bread.