Sweet Vegetable Pickle
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 courgettes, sliced then chopped
- 4 tbsp salt
- 2 and a half cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- half cup whole kernel sweet corn (optional)
- 3 tbsp finely chopped red capsicum (optional)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- quarter of a cup white flour
- a little extra vinegar for mixing spice paste
Place the cauliflower, onion and courgette into a glass or non-corrosive bowl. Cover with cold water. Add salt, stir, then cover. Leave overnight.
Drain the vegetables and discard brine. Wash them under cold running water to remove residual salt.
Bring vinegar to the boil, then add sugar and garlic. Add vegetables and cook gently for 15 minutes.
Add the optional corn and capsicum.
Mix the spices and flour together with a little white vinegar to form a stiff paste. Add the paste to the pan and cook until thick.
Spoon pickle into jars.
Cover and seal. Store in a cool dark place.
Serve with cold meat, cheese platters or crackers.
Makes about five small jars.