Tomato and Pepper Stuffed Salmon with Lemony Quinoa and Yoghurt Sauce
(Serves 6 – 8)
Time to make: 45 minutes
- 2 x 500g salmon fillets, skin and pin bones removed
- 3 tablespoons roast pepper pesto
- 80g (about ½ cup) marinated peppers or peppadew peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup plain low-fat yoghurt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- Tabasco to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock or water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 pieces preserved lemon, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 cups rocket leaves
- 2 bunches asparagus, sliced
- 4 courgettes, sliced into chunks
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Prepare the salmon: lay 5 pieces of kitchen string across an oven-proof dish.
Place one salmon fillet, skinned side up, over the string. Spread the pesto evenly over the fillet, then lay the peppadews over the top to cover the whole fillet.
Carefully place the other salmon fillet on top, lining up the thin end with the fat end so there’s an even thickness throughout. Sprinkle paprika over. Tie up strings. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
While salmon is cooking, make the quinoa. Bring stock or water to the boil and add quinoa. Cook for about 20 minutes, until tender. Drain well. Add olive oil, lemon juice and zest, preserved lemon, spring onion and rocket. Toss well to combine.
Remove from oven and rest for 5-10 minutes. Make the sauce by combining all ingredients and mixing well. Blanch asparagus and courgettes. Stir-fry briefly with garlic until tender.
Undo string on salmon and slice carefully into portions. (Slice across, or slice fillet in half across and then lengthwise into portions.) serve with yoghurt sauce, lemony quinoa (or new potatoes) and green vegetables or salad.
Nutrition Information (salmon)
Per serve (8 serves)
Energy - 1220kJ (292cals)
Protein - 27g
Fat - 19g
- saturated - 6g
Carbohydrate - 5g
- sugars - 4g
Fibre - 0g
Sodium - 120mg
Calcium - 50mg
Iron - 1mg
John Hawkesby’s wine recommendation