Tuscan Bread Salad
- 3 cups stale bread – torn into 2cm chunks
- 100ml quality olive oil
- 250g cherry tomatoes – halved
- ¼ cup oregano leaves
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled & finely sliced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup basil leaves - torn
- ½ cup black olives - pitted
- 1 ½ tbsp capers - drained
- 2 tsp flaked sea salt
- a few turns of the black pepper mill
Place the bread into a bowl and add 50ml of the olive oil and season a little with some flaked salt and pepper.
Pre-heat an oven to 180⁰C, then place the bread on a oven proof tray and bake for approximately 5 minutes or until the bread is golden and crisp. Cool and store in an air tight container.
Combine the tomatoes with the remaining olive oil, oregano and garlic. Leave the tomatoes to marinate for at least an hour or ideally over night.
Add all the remaining ingredients including the bread. Mix well and season with the salt and pepper.
Serve at room temperature.