Watermelon and Avocado Salad
Most of us eat watermelon by itself as a juicy fruit snack, but it also works well in savoury salads. This recipe makes a great summer side dish or starter. You can replace the mozzarella with feta or even blue cheese if you prefer.
Watermelon and Avocado Salad can be prepared in advance, covered and refrigerated for up to 4 hours until needed.
Prep time 5 mins
Serves 6-8 as a starter
From The Free Range Cook: Simple Pleasures by Annabel Langbein
- 1 small or ½ large watermelon, cut into chunks
- 2 just-ripe avocados, cut into chunks
- 200g mozzarella or bocconcini, torn into small chunks
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- juice and finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 1 tsp very finely chopped red chilli (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper
- a small handful of basil leaves, torn roughly
- lime halves
Place watermelon, avocado, mozzarella or bocconcini and tomatoes, if using, in a bowl and toss gently.
Pile onto a serving platter, sprinkle with lime juice and zest, chilli, if using, and salt and pepper.
Top with basil leaves and garnish with lime halves.
2011 Fairbourne Two Tails