Wild hare back strap aged in a sesame, Kikkoman, and mirin marinade. Char grilled satay style and served with a roasted peanut, lime, coconut, and fresh coriander dipping sauce.
- Hare back straps (loins) 4-6
- sesame oil 2-3 teaspoons
- kikkoman soya 2-3 tablespoons
- mirin 2-3 tablespoons
- ground black pepper to taste
- onion ½ brunoise (diced fine)
- peanut butter 50 gm
- roasted peanuts 2 tablespoons
- fresh coriander 2 tablespoons
- garlic 2 cloves shaved
- green Thai paste 1 teaspoon
- fresh ginger 1 knob (½ a thumb size) julienne (thin strips)
- red chilli ½ fine
- seasoning as required brunoise (diced fine)
- lemon grass 5 cm sliced fine
- turmeric ½ teaspoon
- coconut cream ½ can
- shaved coconut 2 tablespoons toasted golden brown
- lime 1-2 Juice
1. Clean & trim the back strap and remove all sinew and silver skin.
2. Make very thin slices across the grain to achieve a nice oval sliver.
3. Place into marinade and rub meat well with mixture. Cover and chill for 4-6 hours.
4. Remove from marinade and thread each slice onto a satay skewer.
5. Seal quickly on hot bbq or grill and rest.
6. Serve with dipping sauce.
1. Heat a little oil a pan and add the onion- all the herbs and spice and sweat quickly for 2-3 minutes
2. Add Thai paste and turmeric and mix well
3. Add peanut butter, roasted peanuts, and coconut milk and gently warm until smooth.
4. Add shaved coconut - remove from heat., allow to cool, add lime juice.