Papua New Guinea's biggest hospital, Port Moresby General has closed its childrens wards and adult outpatient services indefinitely because of a severe shortage of funds.
The National reports the hospital's chief executive, Dr Alphonse Tay, as saying the ward closures were because the Finance Department had not released the hospital's allocation of over 71-thousand US dollars for February.
Last week, the hospital scaled back most of its operations and Dr Tay says a staff meeting will be held next Monday to determine the next course of action if the funds are not received by this Friday.
Other cutbacks in services include antenatal, gynaecology and dental clinics.
Dr Tay says the hospital's accident and emergency is still functioning while operating theatres are open for emergencies only.