Fiji company, Air Terminal Services has signed an agreement to explore the possibility of setting up a joint venture with Air Niugini to operate ground handling services at Port Moresby Airport.
The Fiji Times reports that both companies have agreed that if the feasibility study finds the joint venture should be approved, it should commence in January next year.
ATS Fiji's chairman, Isimeli Bainimara, says they are proud to have been chosen ahead of other organisations in Australasia.
ATS has previously helped set up a catering company for Solomon Airlines and a ground handling company in Tonga and is exploring other joint ventures in the region.
Air Terminal Services is a unique company in Fiji in that 51 per cent of its shares are held by the government while its employees own the other 49 per cent through a trust.